Shepherding You Through Life’s Ups and Downs
Case Study: Retiring in Place Meet Launa and Andrew
Launa and Andrew are a wonderful couple who have enjoyed raising their daughter in Lafayette. Now that she is on her own, they want to take some time to enjoy themselves while maintaining their current lifestyle. Their goal is to stay living in their large home and continue their active social life with close neighbors in the community they know and love. Andrew is retired at 70, and Launa is 59. As a couple, they want to ensure their money will support Launa in an expected long retirement.
Our Plan of Action:
• Developed a Spending Plan that shows where their money is going monthly. This helped Launa and Andrew be more intentional with their spending, replacing the worry and unknown.
•Created an Investment Strategy that they both could understand. This was a huge revelation for the couple and created a sense of peace, knowing their money is in the right place.
• Maximized take-home proceeds by creating a strategy for Launa’s stock options to lower taxes, while developing a consistent diversification process.
• Reviewed their current home, auto, and umbrella insurance policies to make sure their home and wealth are well protected.
• Discussed using the deferred salary option at Launa’s employer to reduce current income taxes.
• Talked through how Launa will want to spend her time in retirement and how that fits in with Andrew’s current retirement schedule.
• Created a strategy for drawing down their retirement funds when the time comes for Launa to begin her retirement.
A Financial Path Defined
Once implementing their customized action plan, Launa and Andrew:
• Felt confident in maintaining their lifestyle
• We’re renewed in their understanding of their spending habits
• And, were optimistic knowing they were taking full advantage of tax strategies that would help maximize their net worth.
Case Study: Investment Strategy 101 Meet Julianna and Arthur
Julianna and Arthur are in their highest-earning years, working for large technology firms in the South Bay. Arthur has managed the couple’s investments but has never felt very confident in his investment choices. Though their portfolio has grown considerably over the years, they wonder if they could have done even better with a more long-term approach to investing.
Our Plan of Action:
- Discussed why using the markets to fund retirement makes sense and, over time, they committed to a true Investment Philosophy that can be used to make investment decisions regardless of the current market environment.
- Implemented a comprehensive plan so they can be confident their investment strategy supports the choices they are making in the rest of their financial life, including:
- A new estate plan to protect each other and their children
- Appropriate life insurance in terms of both amount and term
- Current spending which had drifted up over the years to an unsustainable level
An Intentional Future
Once implementing their customized action plan, Julianna and Arthur:
• Became much more confident in their current investment portfolio and the ability to make adjustments when necessary.
• Shifted their focus from concern about the markets (which is beyond their control) to understanding their spending (which is actually under their control).
• Began spending intentionally, which both saved money and increased their satisfaction level with the things they bought.
• Felt confident their children would be taken care of should something happen to them.
Case Study: How Long Will My Funds Last? Meet Zasa
Zasa lost her husband suddenly and after years of relying on him for her finances, was left on her own. Unsure of how to pick up the pieces, Zasa was in search of someone to look out for her best interests and advise her on every part of her financial life as she settled the estate.
Our Plan of Action:
• Allocated her husband’s and community assets as per their family trust in a way that would ease management and record-keeping.
• Determined a path to creating her life goals by allowing time to adjust to new circumstances and considering how to maximize her remaining years.
• Reviewed current spending and developed a plan for future spending by month to understand how long her resources may support her current lifestyle.
• Discussed whether major adjustments to her investments were appropriate today and determined there was no need to rush into any significant portfolio changes.
Anxiety Free Financials
Once implementing her customized action plan, Zasa:
• Understood that her finances, while not in perfect shape, do not need to be her first priority, given the close monitoring we will be doing going forward.
• Had the confidence in her current finances that allowed her to take time for herself to accept what has happened and begin to adjust to her new life.
• Has a strong financial advocate to help her navigate her financial world.